17-21 June 2019. Centro Studi Ambiente Alpino, San Vito di Cadore (BL), Italy
We are pleased to announce the 6th International Training School in Quantitative Wood Anatomy organized by the TESAF department of Padova University and the WSL Dendrosciences Group.
• Date: 17-21 June 2019
• Place: Centro Studi Ambiente Alpino, San Vito di Cadore (BL), Italy
• Fee: 600 Euro including training school fee, full board accommodation (room sharing required) and teaching material.
• Registration: https://goo.gl/forms/DJkk3bF0aZs6Yixz1
• Instructors: Marco Carrer, Angela Luisa Prendin, Alan Crivellaro (all University of Padova, IT), Georg von Arx (WSL, Switzerland).
We will provide the participants with the necessary skills to produce high-quality anatomical data from wood samples. The program will include ample time for supervised training.
The following topics will be covered:
• Stem anatomical features in angiosperms and gymnosperms
• Anatomical sample preparation using rotary microtome, sledge microtome and surface preparation (woody and non-woody tissues)
• Staining and preparation of permanent slides
• Creating high-quality digital images of entire samples
• Introduction to the image analysis tool ROXAS (www.wsl.ch/roxas)
• Quantification of anatomical features using ROXAS
• Example of applications of quantitative wood anatomy in environmental research
The focus will be on anatomical measurements related to conduits (size, cell wall thickness, vessel topology), since they are most commonly used in research. But, we will also consider covering the quantification of other anatomical traits like cells in the phloem, ray parenchyma or resin ducts if there is interest.
Segnalato da Marco Carrer