25-29 June 2018, San Vito di Cadore, Italy
We are pleased to announce the 5th International Training School in Quantitative Wood Anatomy using ROXAS – From Samples to Data organized by the TeSAF department, University of Padova and the WSL Dendrosciences Group.
• Date: 25-29 June 2018
• Place: San Vito di Cadore (BL), ITALY
• Fee: 600 Euro including conference fee, full board accommodation (room sharing required) and teaching material.
• Registration: http://intra.tesaf.unipd.it/Sanvito/QWA/form.asp
• Instructors: Alan Crivellaro, Angela Luisa Prendin, Marco Carrer (all University of Padova, IT), Georg von Arx (WSL, Switzerland).
Anybody interested in quantitative wood anatomy is invited, including researchers and technicians of all levels of experience. Participation will be limited to a maximum of 20 people (first come first served).
We will provide the participants with the necessary skills to produce high-quality anatomical data from wood samples. The program will include ample time for supervised training. The following topics will be covered:
• Stem anatomical features in angiosperms and gymnosperms
• Anatomical sample preparation using rotary microtome, sledge microtome and surface preparation (woody and non-woody tissues)
• Staining and preparation of permanent slides
• Creating high-quality digital images of entire samples
• Introduction to the image analysis tool ROXAS
• Quantification of anatomical features using ROXAS
• Example of applications of quantitative wood anatomy in environmental research
The focus will be on anatomical measurements related to conduits (size, cell wall thickness, vessel topology), since they are most commonly used in research. But, we will also consider covering the quantification of cells in the phloem and ray parenchyma if there is interest.
Please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com with any questions.
On behalf of the organizers,
Marco Carrer, Georg von Arx, Alan Crivellaro, Angela Luisa Prendin