EFI is seeking a senior professional with strong international research and management experience to work together with a group of active, committed staff to lead and develop the Forest for Society Programme.
The European Forest Institute (EFI) is an international organization established by European States. EFI undertakes forest research and policy support at pan-European and global levels. EFI is a vibrant organization, with 25 Member Countries, a network of c.120 member organizations in 35 countries, and five Regional Offices located across Europe. Its Headquarters is in Joensuu, Finland.
The Programme addresses issues strongly linked with the society, such as goods and services provided by forests and bioeconomy. The work is done with an interdisciplinary approach, and especially from the social sciences perspective. The focus of the Programme is on cross-cutting bioeconomy issues, including policy and governance, industry products and markets, and ecosystem services. More information about the Forest for Society Programme is available here.
The post will involve in particular:
- managing and coordinating the Forest for Society Programme in accordance with EFI Strategy;
- developing the Programme towards a cross-cutting bioeconomy field, including policy and governance, industry products and markets, and ecosystem services;
- initiating new projects and conducting research in this area in Europe; and
- strengthening the networking within EFI and between its member organisations and forest-based sector decision makers.
- PhD in the relevant field for the post
- At least five years of international research experience
- Proven record in fundraising (e.g., EC/EU funded projects)
- Proficiency in English, knowledge of other European languages is an asset
- Excellent coordination, managerial, networking and communication skills
- Capability to create an inspiring team work environment
- Experience in policy support work will be considered as a merit
Employment conditions and duty station
EFI offers a competitive benefits and salary package. This position offers a challenging opportunity to work within a stimulating international environment in one of the Institute’s senior positions.
The post will be based at the EFI Headquarters (HQ) in Joensuu, Finland. However there is a possibility to be based part-time outside the HQ. The successful candidate will be expected to take up the post in spring 2015. A fixed term appointment of between three and five years is envisaged with an option for extension.
Interested candidates are requested to send a CV with a cover letter by 1 March 2015, using our online application form. If it is not possible to apply online, please send your application to email@example.com. All applications will be handled confidentially. EFI encourages submissions from female applicants.