The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI, www.ilri.org) in cooperation with the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Institute of Meteorology and Climate Research, Atmospheric Environmental Research (IMK-IFU, http://imk-ifu.fzk.de/) is looking for a PhD student to join a project focusing on greenhouse gases (GHG) and ammonia emissions from different livestock systems in East Africa.
The candidate will conduct measurements of greenhouse gases and ammonia fluxes from various livestock systems across East Africa by means of a combination of chamber measurements, eddy covariance techniques and other micrometeorological approaches. Different management strategies will be investigated to determine the current status of GHG and ammonia emissions from livestock systems and to identify management options of mitigating the environmental footprint of livestock production.
The applicant will be based at ILRI, Nairobi, Kenya. The work will be conducted in the frame of a BMZ funded project (German Ministry of Cooperation). The position is due to start in March 2015 or shortly after.
- – Incorporation into a multidisciplinary international research group based in Nairobi, Kenya.
- – Access to state-of-the-art instrumentation for measurement of greenhouse gases and
- – Research stipend (ca. 1400 € net salary + partial coverage of health insurance) for up to three
Requirements of the candidate:
- – M.Sc degree in environmental sciences, ecology, meteorology or other environmental-related discipline.
- – High motivation for working in East Africa.
- – Proven experience with Eddy Covariance techniques, including data processing.
- – Ability to work with large data sets.
- – Excellent written and speaking English skills.
- – Programming knowledge is an asset.
Application must include:
- – Letter of motivation stating why the candidate is suitable for this position and her/his motivation to work in East Africa
- – Brief curriculum vitae
- – Copy of university certificates
Please address the application exclusively by e-mail and in a single pdf file to: Dr. Eugenio Díaz-Pinés (Scientist, IMK-IFU) and
Prof. Dr. Klaus Butterbach-Bahl (Head of Department, IMK-IFU and ILRI)
Institute of Meteorology and Climate Research/ Atmospheric Environmental Research (KIT/IMK-IFU); Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany.
Complete applications should be received by January 15th, 2015. Only complete applications from candidates who fit the outlined profile will receive full consideration. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been identified