Coupling of the Carbon and Water Cycles
CSIRO offers PhD graduates an opportunity to launch their scientific careers through our Office of the Chief Executive (OCE) Postdoctoral Fellowships. Successful applicants will work with leaders in the field of science and receive personal development and learning opportunities.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will work independently and guided by active supervisors (Lu Zhang, Francis Chiew, Pep Canadell) and interact with leading scientists from different disciplines across CSIRO, in particular the Land and Water, Oceans and Atmosphere and Agricultural Flagships. Internationally, the Postdoctoral Fellow will interact with scientists from leading institutions and universities in the field of climate, hydrology, and ecology to contribute directly to our knowledge of coupled land surface-atmosphere system.
Specifically you will:
- Under the direction of senior research scientists, carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Improve the ability of the land surface model CABLE to simulate Australian and global coupled carbon, energy and water fluxes to improve predictions of future water availability
- Undertake regular reviews of relevant literature and patents.
- Produce high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals, for client reports and granting of patents.
Location: Black Mountain, Canberra, ACT, Australia Salary: $78K to $88K plus up to 15.4% superannuation (pension fund) Tenure: Up to 3 years Reference: ACT14/03426
To be considered you will hold a PhD (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as hydrology, ecology and climate.
You will also have:
- Strong numerical and statistical skills with demonstrated ability to perform complex modelling.
- Excellent programming skills and knowledge of ecohydrological processes and carbon and water coupling at different scales.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and enthuses to develop an internationally recognised publication record.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, plus the ability and willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
Owing to terms of the fellowship, candidates must not have more than 3 years of relevant Postdoctoral experience.
About CSIRO: Australia is founding its future on science and innovation. Its national science agency, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) is a powerhouse of ideas, technologies and skills for building prosperity, growth, health and sustainability. It serves governments, industries, business and communities across the nation. Find out more! www.csiro.au
About CSIRO Land and Water Flagship: The Land and Water Flagship provides the science to underpin Australia’s economic, social and environmental prosperity through stewardship of land and water resources ecosystems, and urban areas.
Applications are open to Australian Citizens, Permanent Residents and International candidates. Relocation assistance will be provided if required.
Applications close 30 November 2014 (11:30pm AEST)