Segnalato da: Anne Foucault
A 30-month post-doctoral position is available at the Earth and Life Institute (Universite catholique de Louvain, Belgium).
A 30-month post-doctoral position (1st June 2012 – 30th November 2014) in forest biogeochemistry modeling is available at the Earth and Life Institute (Universite catholique de Louvain, Belgium)
Objectives of the project
EcoRisk is a 4-year project funded by the Belgian Science Policy, involving 4 research teams (University of Antwerp, Universite catholique de Louvain, Royal Meteorological Institute, Belgian Nuclear Research Centre). It aims at designing a decision support tool capable of modeling scenarios of forest growth, nutrient uptake and pollutant behaviour under different forest, soil, groundwater and climate conditions in Belgian forests.
Within this project, the candidate will develop a specific nutrient module and will ensure its coupling to the existing ANAFORE stand growth model. This module will concentrate on P and base cations, using a mechanistic approach allowing to take into account major soil feedbacks while considering forest response to global change.
– Ph.D in soil science, forest science or related fields;
– Strong modeling capabilities and knowledge of at least one programming language;
– Indepth knowledge of forest ecosystem processes, especially of biogeochemistry;
– Ability to communicate/report clearly in English, both orally and in writing. Some knowledge of French or willingness to learn French language expected;
– Ability to work in a team and independently;
– A laboratory and field experience in soil /plant / forest science is an additional advantage.
The Earth and Life Institute comprises more than 300 scientists – bioengineers, physicists, agronomists, ecologists, geographers, microbiologists – working on the understanding and management of natural and anthropized systems, at various spatial and temporal scales. Within the Pole ‘Environmental Sciences’ of this institute, the candidate will be attached to a team working on the biogeochemistry of forest ecosystems. He will strongly interact with the other partners of the project, as well as with internal and external collaborators.
Application and contacts
Potential candidates are invited to send a curriculum vitae and a letter of recommendation by email (email@example.com) as soon as possible, and before May 7th (closing date).