SCIENTIFIC ASSISTANT IN SUPPORT OF IPCC CHAPTERS 5 AND 6 OF THE FIFTH ASSESSMENT REPORT
Categoria: Opportunità di Lavoro
Inviato da: Barbara Michel
Data evento: 02 – 10 Dic 2010
This position is within the « Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l’Environnement », a joint institute of CNRS, CEA and UVSQ. The incumbent will work in Saclay (30 km south-west of Paris).
LSCE is among the leading European institutes on climate change research, and contributes to the coordination of two chapters of the IPCC Fifth Assessment Report: “Information on Paleoclimate Archive” (Chapter-5), and “Carbon and Other biogeochemical Cycles” (Chapter 6).
In this context, we seek to hire a young scientist at the post-doctorate level who will assist Drs Valérie Masson-Delmotte and Philippe Ciais in the statistical analysis of multiple datasets and model results, the preparation of synthesis for the authors team of each chapter and in the set up of a transparent and verifiable bibliography database in support of each chapter. It is expected that the post-doctorate scientist will also help to archive and help with the coordination of the information circulation within each chapter, to manage the bibliographic information, and verify the strict respect of IPCC procedures.
Under the general guidance of Drs Valérie Masson-Delmotte and Philippe Ciais, major duties and responsibilities include:
– literature review, documentation and archiving of cited literature,
– designing of scientific graphs,
– communication with chapter authors,
– documentation of the draft modification along the writing and review processes
– quality control of the strict respect of IPCC procedures.
– minimum 3 years of international research experience (including PhD) in at least one of the following domains: paleoclimatology, carbon and other biogeochemical cycles,
– training and ability to manipulate software tools for (i) managing bibliographies, (ii) statistical analyses, and (iii) graphical representation of datasets extracted from observations and Earth System Models model outputs,
– Excellent English level (oral and written)
– Highly self-motivated and organized, acute attention to detail, autonomy
– Outstanding written, verbal and interpersonal skills with a multinational community,
– Willingness and ability to travel internationally several times per year,
– knowledge of IPCC role and procedures
The end of the post is September 2013, salary being commensurate with experience according to the CEA rates. Full social security benefits are associated to the post and by extension to the family of the hired person.
Expected date for entry on duty: as soon as possible
If interested, please contact : Valérie Masson-Delmotte (Valerie.Masson@lsce.ipsl.fr) and Philippe Ciais (Philippe.Ciais@lsce.ipsl.fr). To apply, send a CV and motivation letter preferably before Dec. 10th, 2010. Shortlisted candidates may be required to come for an interview.